Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Real Evil Forests

There are a lot of woods around me and most of them are quite scary, but they are scary for the wrong reasons. They are full of old needles, used condoms and booby trapped attache cases with blood diamonds hidden in them...suffice it to say, I don't want hepatitis so ill stick to Internet research for the time being. Well, till the weekend. Going to go take some of my own pictures. After still not been able to find the right style for my evil forest, I've decided to return to nature and go and have a look at some real woods...but that will be tomorrow because I've already missed first and last light. So until then, here are some images I've gathered from different blogs and forums across the Internet.

This image is obvious heavily treated, but it still looks good. I like the use of black and white, with a tint of sepia. The long shadows make it quite haunting....but it also looks like something you'd see in a UFO film.

This is a 'classic' country wood look...what you expect to see. The foregroud is particularly well done and the shadows on the floor look really good - a look I have been trying to replicate for the last week.

This is a striking image. The water is a great addition and something I didn't consider adding....I think one of the main problems with my woods so far is that they have all had paths. By taking out the paths and just using huge expanses I think it might give the piece more dimension. I am going to put my theory to practise soon.

This is a very thick wood. I want my wood to get thicker as the piece goes on, so this is a great reference. I especially like the way the moss on the edge of the trees is highlighted by the light, giving them a strange glow...it would probably be a really hard look to replicate, but it would be fantastic if I could get it right.

This shot is all about the foreground. The background is far too pretty. I just wanted to study the way twigs and branches worked in the foreground, dividing up the image.

This is quite a lonely and desolate scene...it really confirms my 'no paths' idea. The problem with the idea is that a path shows the characters direction, without one the audience might get easily bored, not having visual confirmation that the character is heading in the right direction. This image really confirms just how many branches and minor details are going to need to go into these scenes.

This is my favourite find. It is classic, dark, English foggy wood straight out of a Monty Python sketch. The bendy trees and the way the light pierces the canope everywhere, then the low dusky fog and the boggy mud really make this quite a haunting scene.

This research has really helped me clear up a few of a perceptions about woods. This is probably one of the first things I should have done, rather than studying how other artists go about drawings wooded backgrounds....but I have done it now, even if it is a little late into the project. I will be taking my own photo's at some point this week.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I love these pictures. I like the last one the best, I saw this on Google images, and wanted to use this for one of my posts on Blogger.